In 1995, The Phoenix Companies, Inc. initiated preliminary concept studies for the redevelopment of a plot of downtown land on the eastern-most edge of Hartford, Connecticut. Supported and assisted by The Travelers Group, CTG Resources, Inc., the City of Hartford, the State of Connecticut, and numerous regional organizations, the study grew to include over 30-acres of land and associated air rights in a publicly funded mixed-use complex.
The development of this land was given the project name Adriaen’s Landing, named for Dutchman Adriaen Block, who in 1614 became the first European explorer in the Connecticut river valley region.
- The site is roughly bordered by Prospect Street to Travelers Plaza Building in the west down to Columbus Boulevard, Arch Street to the south, State Street and Riverfront Plaza to the north, and the Connecticut River and Interstate 91 to the east.
- The original plans for Adriaen’s Landing were for an open air stadium for the New England Patriots. However, in April 1999, the Patriots withdrew their proposal to relocate to Hartford.
- Capital City Economic Development Authority (CCEDA), the predecessor to CRDA, the State of Connecticut Office of Policy and Management (OPM), and the Waterford Development Group revised the strategy to shape the development that is now the Connecticut Convention Center, The Connecticut Science Center and Front Street today.