National Welding – Newington
The National Welding facility was used as a metal machining, tooling and fabricating plant from 1941 to January of 1994. In 2008, via a municipal tax foreclosure, the town of Newington acquired the 3.9-acre parcel of property located at 690 Cedar Street. The site sits in close proximity to CT Routes 9 and 175 and is immediately adjacent to the CTFastrak station.
Newington was awarded a Brownfield Grant by the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development, (DECD) in the amount of $2 million to demolish the existing buildings and to assess the long-term remediation of the site. As part of its mission to promote economic development, CRDA provided grant administrative services to the town. Those services include preparing agreements, reports and close-out documents; managing vendor invoices and payments; retaining a Licensed Environmental Professional (“LEP”) to oversee sampling and testing; filing of regulatory forms, obtaining permits, coordinating with state regulatory agencies and monitoring demolition, debris removal, and clean-up; procuring demolition and abatement contractors to clear the site and establishing appropriate engineer protection and monitoring systems; and making recommendations for addressing subsurface remediation and post-demolition and clean-up actions.
CRDA also provides development services to Newington in the form of:
- Assessing the property’s redevelopment potential,
- Evaluating existing proposals already received by the Town,
- Soliciting alternatives as required, including the development and marketing of Requests for Proposals,
- Preparing and presenting an assessment of options to the Town that includes long term viability, community impacts, demand for services, and revenue impact,
- Collaborating in setting a land price, and
- Assisting in negotiations with potential developers and preparing land disposition agreements, purchase and sale agreements and environmental responsibility agreements
Clean up and demolition of the former National Welding facility was completed ahead of schedule. The building superstructure was abated, demolished and removed from the site. Final work included cleaning and inspection of the slab followed by its removal, grading and restabilization of the site.